Surfing is a gift, a way to connect with the earth and mother ocean. But in a society where we continue to take take take our planet is suffering. Seeing the disastrous impact humans are having on our oceans is what inspired us to create a sustainable solution. Education is key and armed with the knowledge and tools to make a difference we can help to preserve our precious ocean environment.
Here are the facts:
1. The equivalent of 1 garbage truck of plastic is dumped into our oceans every minute, by 2020 it is predicated to increase 10 fold
2. The single use plastic we use today will outlive us, a simple plastic bottle can take 450 years to break down
3. By 2050 there will be more plastics in the oceans than there are fish by weight
4. Even if you properly dispose of plastic in the bin it often ends up in landfill where it is at risk of blowing into our waterways and oceans
5. Plastic breaks into smaller and smaller pieces known as micro plastics which are toxic to our marine environment
6. Micro plastics can never be digested by marine animals, they remain present until the animal is eaten and is passed up the food chain
7. Plastic is toxic and binds to other toxins such as mercury
8. Marine animals that consume plastic often starve because they can't digest the plastic that fills their stomachs
9. Some toothpastes, face wash and body products contain plastic micro beads which end up in our waterways and oceans
10. Plastic travels. It has been found 11km below the oceans surface. It is found on islands and beaches that are otherwise uninhabited by humans
Sadly our oceans are really feeling the effect of humans. Together we still have time to initiate small daily changes that will have positive longterm effects and cleaner oceans for our future. Lets rally together and encourage friends and family to do the same. The most important step we can take to limit the amount of plastic pollution that makes its way into our oceans is to reduce the amount of plastic we consume in the first place.
Here is what we can do to reduce our single use plastic consumption:
1. Say no to plastic bags. Choose reusable bags instead
2. Invest in a re-usable water bottle. Not only is it better for your own health, it is saving a lot of single use plastic bottles
3. Get a keep cup and think of how many disposable coffee cups you could save in a month or a year
4. Say no to plastic straws. Choose eco friendly re-useable straws
5. Where ever possible avoid single use plastic. Only consume what you need
6. Avoid body products with plastic micro beads
7. Remove plastic already in the environment. Volunteer for a beach clean up and support great organisations working on the very issue
8. Support eco-friendly brands and organisations. As the consumer the power is in your hands. There are so many amazing products coming onto the market made using recycled products and ethical manufacturing. At Salty Sparrow Bikini we are proud to use a sustainable fabric that use regenerated abandoned fishing nets and plastic bottles from the ocean. Check out their amazing concept at https://www.econyl.com
We have the power to make a difference. Every small choice each of us makes to reduce our single use plastic consumption is a powerful step forward to a cleaner future. Thank you for jumping on board with us at Salty Sparrow Bikini and supporting a sustainable independent label. #bikinis for change
My family and I camped on a remote island off the Queensland coast and for a whole week we didn’t see another human...but we did find this, all washed onto our Australian shorelines.
Let us know how you reduce your impact on the environment. Have you found any sustainable products lately you are loving? We would love to know..